Monday, October 26, 2009

Feelings about The Big Project

After discussing my idea for my project with my group I realized how complicated/not fully developed it was. Originally, I wanted to do a project on the horse barns - doing so with a news twist of some kind, such as horses getting taken in due to the economy, the Theraputic program, ect.
After conversing with my group, I've decided to stick with the horse barn but do a profile on the barn itself - as Phil suggested, make the barn the center of the piece where all of the action occurs and in essence personify the barn. I really like this idea but it is definitely going to be challenging. Some ideas I have is to take pictures of the activities in the morning, when the first person gets there and at night, when the last person leaves and then have pictures of the numerous activities throughout the day. I want to hear from the students who make the barn part of their daily routines and find out what it's like, is it hard fitting it in to an academic schedule? What's the most memorable thing that people can remember happening in the barn - i.e. a horse being born, a horse dying, or people dealing with their outside lives within the barn. I'm really excited about the project with this new approach - I think instead of having it be totally newsy, it'll have an artistic component but at the same time be profiling a large piece of campus that many don't hear about aside from competitions, the therapy program, ect.
After meeting with my group I feel much more focused. I feel like I can honestly be successful in my project. I'm really excited to not only see my finished project but also some of the members of my group. Nicole has a really great idea of profiling students, much like the New York Times series we watched. I think while challenging, if pulled off, it will be an amazing and timeless project. I also like Sylvia's project idea - she's going to do multimedia on couples at college. I like it because I haven't heard the idea before, it's completely original, and again, if pulled off, could make for a really great story.
I'm still very nervous about the project - I know that there's a lot that could go wrong. I can hear people questioning, "so what?" Rather than tie up the barn in a piece of news, such as budgeting, therapy, competitions or some other specific angle, I think a profile and a personification can be made into its own angle.
I am meeting with the director of the barn, Sarah Hamilton, tomorrow and I'm excited to see what other ideas she has for my profile.
Meeting in groups and discussing ideas was definitely very helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment